You think your customer service differentiates your store from the pack, but are you sure? In this ultra competitive and challenging environment, service has taken on an even bigger role, writes Suzanne DeVries in a column for National Jeweler magazine.
“Remember: Clients can demand and receive better service than ever before because there are so many stores competing for their business. You have to work harder than everyone else to become -- and remain -- the jeweler of choice,” she writes.
Some simple tips you can do today to thrive with customer service:
- Be welcoming: Greet every client that enters your store.
- Offer comfort and convenience: Have cozy seating for clients, as well as accompanying family and friends. Also have a play area for kids, so parents can shop without distractions.
- Make your best clients feel special: Send invites on things like exclusive offers, reminders of upcoming gift occasions, alerts about new merchandise, and more.
- Make shopping personal and be sure it fits your customer’s needs: Offer a personal shopper service to your clients. Also provide multiple ways to shop, including in-store, phone, catalog or Internet.
- Train and empower your staff: Make sure your salespeople are well trained and empowered to make decisions, especially when it comes to satisfying unhappy customers.
- Celebrate customer goodwill: Get your clients' permission to use photos and words about their shopping experience in your newsletter and on your Web site to make them feel like part of your jewelry "family."