To most Americans, buying an engagement ring is a daunting experience. That’s why retailers that get it right are not only part of the most exciting time in couple’s lives, they develop lifelong customers in return. Over 630 consumers have entered their “Ultimate Proposal Story” in Jewelry Information Center’s Ultimate Proposal Contest. JA Director of Consumer Communications (and JIC spokeswoman) Amanda Gizzi has found inspiring marketing ideas for jewelry retailers from the story entries. She shares her favorites here.
Use these ideas to connect with your engagement customers and help them create the perfect engagement story:
- Set the Stage: Online retailers sell rings. You sell experiences and memories to cherish. What is the engagement ring buying experience at your store? Today, customers expect more. "Through the stories, we have read great examples of jewelry stores that literally set the stage and become part of the proposal, by offering creative ways for people to pop the question right in the store," says Gizzi. Have a digital camera or video recorder on hand to help capture the moment.
- Extra Tip: Team up with a local florist and give flowers with the engagement ring purchase.
- Put It in Writing: Follow the Ultimate Proposal Contest concept and create a story book of your customers' proposal stories, and let your customers’ memories live on and inspire others. Encourage your customers to bring in their stories and photos to add to the album. Run your own proposal contest and let your customers and community vote on their favorite story.
- Help With Financing: Want to go from “I’ll think about it” to “I’ll take it”? An engagement ring is one of the largest purchases individuals will make in their lifetime. Liquid cash is not always an option. By offering store credit cards, you will undoubtedly be able to make sales that otherwise might have remained “I’ll have to think about it.”
- Extra Tip: If you do not currently have a private label credit card, talk to GE Money. Jewelers of America members get exclusive discounts. Click here for details.
Take The Tip: